GROWERS NATIONAL BANK/
MERCANTILE TRUST COMPANY BUILDING
This Neoclassical-style building is located in the City of Campbell’s historic downtown and is a local city landmark. Built in the early 1920s by prominent business leader Benjamin O. Curry, this building was part of the city’s original business block. Originally constructed as the city’s second financial institution, the Growers National Bank would later merge with the Mercantile Trust Company in 1923 and continue to operate for another four years before becoming the American Trust Company until closing in 1938.
In 1938, the rear of the building was expanded and its interior renovated to transform it into the city’s first movie theater. Later, in 1966, it was reincarnated into a Vaudeville stage theater known as the Gas Lighter Theater until closing in 2006. Shortly afterward, the building was purchased for new use as a nightclub; however, this venture was short lived because the owner ran into financial difficulties during the demolition phase of the building’s interior. The building sat abandoned for another two years before being purchased by our clients, who wanted to transform it into an upscale restaurant and lounge.
We were responsible for preparing all drawings and specifications for both the restoration and seismic retrofit of this historic non-reinforced masonry building, along with designing the new proposed restaurant. In addition, we worked closely with both the State Office of Historic Preservation and the Department of the Interior to successfully meet all eligibility requirements needed to place this property on the National Register of Historic Places