The Immigrant House is one of the oldest buildings in the City of Mountain View, constructed around 1888 and was home for many newly arrived immigrants seeking the American dream during the city’s early development. The structure was moved in 2014 from its original location near the corner of Bryant and Villa Streets in the city’s downtown to the city’s Municipal Operations Center on Whisman Avenue to await a permanent location. In 2013 the City of Mountain View acquired a 1.22 acre parcel of land from a longtime resident and in 2016 the 300-square-foot historic home was moved to become the centerpiece of a new neighborhood park located at 771 N. Rengstorff Avenue.
We were responsible for preparing all the architectural drawings and project specifications required for the building’s relocation, reconstruction and repurposing, including working with both the city and the project’s landscape architect during the entire course of the project’s development to its completion and grand opening to the public.
The project was awarded the Historical Heritage Grant from the County of Santa Clara Historical Heritage Commission to support the renovation and relocation of the building to its new permanent home at Heritage Park.
Design Team: Landscape Architect: Callander and Associates Landscape Architects, Structural Engineer Consultant: Sung Engineers, Inc.
THE IMMIGRANT HOUSE AT
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA